Governor's Palace Pier Mirror
The Governor's Palace Pier Mirror is reproduced from one of a pair of British looking glasses made around 1725. The glasses are found in the furnishings inventory of Lord Botetourt, one of the last royal governors to occupy the Palace at Colonial Williamsburg. Before electricity, sconce arms with candles were placed on looking glasses as an especially effective way of lighting a room. The Pier Mirror is shown here in an antique gold leaf finish with antique mercury glass in the side panels and two beveled mirror plates in the center panel.